The call focuses on the following LIFE programmes: Nature and Biodiversity, Climate Action and Environmental Governance and Information.
The objective is to identify possible solutions to challenges in the field of fire protection in one of the following areas: prevention, operation and regeneration.
This call for project and technology ideas to be submitted to the LIFE call is part of the advice of the CILIFO Centre created by the CILIFO project (0753_CILIFO_5_E). This is a project co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund ERDF in the framework of the Interreg V A Spain – Portugal (POCTEP) 2014-2020 programme.
European Union LIFE projects provide between 55% and 75% non-repayable funding.
Brussels, 16.05.2019. The Finnova Foundation opens its LIFE 2019 Call for Pre-proposals for innovative European projects dedicated to fire protection. This call is addressed to public and/or private entities that have a project or a personal interest or need that can be framed within the LIFE Programme, the financial instrument of the European Union.
This Finnova LIFE 2019 Call for Proposals focuses on the following LIFE programmes: Nature and Biodiversity, Climate Action and Environmental Governance and Information.
The objectives are as follows:
- To create a network of incubators and accelerators at provincial and regional level that respond to the interest for innovation in fire fighting.
- To identify possible solutions to challenges in the field of fire protection in one of the following areas: prevention, operation and regeneration.
- To create territorial alliances of public-private partnership (PPP) that allow the SOLUTIONS proposed by entrepreneurs, technological institutes and universities to become real projects.
- Make visible its commitment to innovation and its commitment to growth and job creation, through the promotion of entrepreneurial projects that improve the quality of life of its citizens.
- Increase and improve institutional relations thanks to PPP alliances.
- Contribute to improving and protecting the environment and climate action.
Finnova will analyse each of the pre-proposals in order to proceed to a potential drafting and preparation of a LIFE proposal before the cut-off date of June or September 2019 (depending on the call). This initiative is part of the first accelerator dedicated to fire-fighting startups, managed by the Finnova Foundation as a partner of the LIFE programme. Thus, Finnova looks for public entities that face problems with fires and startups that are innovative in this field.
According to Juanma Revuelta, CEO of Finnova, one of the fundamental objectives will be to evaluate each idea in order to “try to increase public-private partnerships that allow for public funding from the EU, such as programmes such as Horizon 2020 or Interreg”. An outstanding example Finnova has already worked with in this field is Drone Hopper; it is a startup that designs drones to act in the extinction of forest fires, thanks to its unit of containers that propel nebulized liquid. Drone Hopper received a non-refundable grant of €50,000 from the European Commission’s SME Facility thanks to advice from Finnova’s StartUp Europe Accelerator programme.
It should be noted that the Climate Action is the 13th UN Sustainable Development Goals. This project is developed within the framework of the CILIFO programme (Iberian Centre for Research and Forest Firefighting). It has an overall budget of 24.7 million euros for Interreg Poctep (European Cross-Border Cooperation Programme), making it the Interreg project with the largest financial endowment.
Juan Manuel Revuelta – General Manager of Finnova
Press contact Finnova